Location: Manastirea Humorului Village, Manastirea Humorului Commune, Suceava County
Date: 16th-17th centuries
Observation: Monument on the UNESCO World Heritage List, code 598002
The monastery of Humor was founded in the 14th century, most probably by Judge Oana from Turlova. The church was destroyed in the early 16th century. In 1483 Stephen the Great ordered calligrapher Nicodim, hieromonk of the Putna Monastery to copy The Four Gospels, a manuscript decorated with miniatures and bound in hammered silver-gilt which he gave to Humor Monastery.
In 1530, the Great Chancellor Toader Bubuiog and his wife Anastasia. with the help of Prince Petru Rares, built a new church dedicated the Assumption of the Holy Virgin, close to the ruins of the old edifice. The new church was built on triconch, cross-shaped plan with semi-circular apses. Though small, the church is harmoniously proportioned consisting of a chancel, a naos, a burial chamber, a pronaos and an open exonarthex, the ﬁrst of its kind in Moldavia.
The painting was made in 1535 by Toma of Suceava. The scenes are displayed according to the different sections of the church. Inside the chancel are depicted “The Last Supper”, „The Washing of the Apostles‘ Feet”, and “The Eucharist“. inside the naos are painted scenes from “The Life of Jesus” and “The Cycle of Christ’s Passions”. On the west wall of the naos is the votive painting of Petru Rares.
The burial chamber, a special space reserved for the graves of the founders, which are portrayed and buried here, is painted with scenes from „The Life of the Holy Virgin”. On the walls of the pronaos is illustrated „The Menology”, the Orthodox calendar of saints.
Outside, on the right side of the doorway is „The Akathistos Hymn” dedicated to the Holy Virgin, which covers hall the south facade. The lower register is dominated by “The Siege of Constantinople”. Here, the Moldavian painter depicted the Fortress Seat of Suceava and the enemies of Moldavia — Turks and Tartars armed with canons, halberds, and spears.
On the inside of the church are preserved a valuable painted iconostasis made of gilded wood together with the Sovereign icons dating back to the times of Petru Rares. The massive defensive tower located in the northeast corner of the compound was built in 1641 by Prince Vasile Lupu.
Ati scris foarte frumos despre Humor Monastery, Suceava County, Romania
Multumim pentru apreciere!