In 1365 Ludovic I of Anjou confiscated half of the Cuhea domain from Bogdan, who had retreated to Moldavia, and donated it to Sas sons as a reward for their loyalty to the crown.
The wooden church named „The Nativity of the Holy Mother” was built in 1364, making the oldest wooden church from Maramures.
The wooden construction from fir trees is typical for Maramures. The structural elements are also used as decorations. The church consists of pronaos, nave and Altar protected by the wide roof which is flared at its bottom end. Above the pronaos, the bell-tower rises. Its watchtower, built on brackets, and its parapet, hidden by vertical boards fret-sawn at the bottom, are supported by eight pillars linked by arches joined in braces with wedges (two on each side). Above the watchtower, there is a square pyramidal spire with eight sides.
The access to the church is on the west side through a door framed by arched massive beams. The natural light floods the pronaos through four pentagonal windows, while the nave is lighted by twelve smaller ones, six on each side, three on the upper level and six on the lower level of the lconostasis.
The iconography is assigned to Al. Ponehalschi, a well-known painter of the region, and is considered his masterpiece. It was painted around 1782 and impresses by the inspired spacing of the front rows of icons, the variety of the ornamentation, its warm colors and the mature approach of the artist to this work, all proof of his vast experience.
The pronaos is totally dedicated to showing Doomsday. In its lower levels scenes from Hell picture the sins of the lost souls and their punishment. In the upper level Jesus as the Judge is accompanied by angels with trumpets.
On the vault above the nave the Trinity is painted, while on the sidewalls there are scenes from The New and The Old Testaments. In the Sanctuary next to the Church Fathers, we find Alexeis the Patriarch of Moscow and Peter the Patriarch of Kiev.
This church is well known because the ancient y manuscript of the Codex of leud was found in its attic. The Codex contains the oldest Romanian texts written with Slavonic letters.